Sunday, May 19, 2013

A couple weeks ago I shared my idea for my thesis. It was going to be a series with paint on lips. After trying to figure out what paints to use and how to go about it, I realized that it was going to be very expensive to get the write mediums to produce what I had in mind. It was definitely a great learning experience and I still intend to complete the series, but it will not be my thesis for school. I also came to the realization that it would not fit with the rest of my work and I want to shoot something that will stand on its own, but still be able to be shown side by side with the rest of my work.
With the help of some instructors and a fellow classmate I came up with a better thesis idea. I proposed my idea to the instructors in charge and they accepted it. The thesis will be a narrative documentary on the North West surf culture. Plainly put I will be photographing the surfer lifestyle in Washington and Oregon. I have been in contact with multiple surfers and surfboard shapers that I will be photographing. I will document the making of a surfboard from a blank sheet of foam to the finished product. I will also be shooting surfers in the water riding the waves and what they do out of the water.
There are more surfers in the Pacific North West than people realize. Most don't even know that there are surfers in these two states. I want to show how people make time to surf outside of their daily lives and everything that goes into being able to catch the waves. I hope that my thesis will shed some light on the sport and culture that is surfing. I want to entertain viewers with my images and maybe some will want to try surfing for themselves.
Along with the thesis and school I have also been working at Studio N and as I said before with Walter Hodges and his Jetta Productions. I have been slowly getting more and more hours at Studio N and finally I am at the point I was scheduled for two weeks in a row. Now without giving to much away, it is a great job with great pay. I have the chance to work with multiple professional photographers and see how they function. It is a great opportunity to get my name out there and for people to see what I have to offer. After being out of work for a very long time, it is also a good feeling to be able to actually go to a job.
It has become interesting trying properly schedule everything so I do not fall behind on school work or miss out on jobs. I am enjoying being busy and I am very confident in what is to come in the coming months and years after I graduate. If you have read this far I commend you. Here is an image from my archives for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment